Monday, October 24, 2016

Vegan Pancakes with Apple Jelly

I have a confession, I struggle to make a basic pancake. I've literally tried everything, and had very little success. Each time I try something is off. But I have a small pancake lover in my house, so I continue trying because of her. And honestly, she'll eat most of my sad attempts at pancakes. But why should she have too, we're both better than this...LOL. So today (per her request) I decided to do another recipe test to come up with a pancake that was more than just edible. And to my surprise it worked. And it just happens to be vegan and healthy. I think I just crushed it! This recipe makes about 6 medium pancakes.
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup applesauce (all natural, unsweetened)
1 cup of Almond milk 
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons oil for frying (I used olive oil because that's what we have in the house but most oils should work fine)
Apple Jelly (optional, but such a great option!)
I mixed all the dry ingredients together, and then added applesauce and Almond Milk. I used a cast iron skillet, which I preheated then oiled. Keep heat at medium-high. Pancakes cook pretty fast, watch for bubbles then flip. Keep pan greased. I use a paper towel dipped in oil to grease pan. This keeps pan lightly greased without deep frying pancakes. And no need for syrup top with apple jelly. 
These pancakes were a HUGE hit. They were eaten for breakfast and lunch. This is a new breakfast item for rotation. 






No comments:

Post a Comment