Monday, September 26, 2016

Yellow Corn Grits with Veggie Kielbasa and Mixed Peppers

I went into the grocery store for regular grits because I couldn't remember if I had some at home. But I  couldn't find them and the children were getting antsy. So I grabbed the only grits I could find...yellow corn grits. *shrug* there's a first time for everything and I do love a cooking challenge. So here we are. First, let me say this was a good choice for this dish. Next, let me say these are more involved than your average grits. They are not as fine, so they have a grittier texture and a heartier taste. I found a recipe online and tweaked it a bit as I do most of my recipes.

Here it is:
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup of yellow grits
1/3 cup of pepper jack cheese (optional)

Boil broth and 1/2 cream and 1 tablespoon of butter. Once it comes to a boil add grits, reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, add the rest of the cream and butter. Mix in cheese.

Meanwhile saute your peppers and onion. Any color take your pick. This week I let my toddler chose because she loves raw peppers. Saute using olive oil, and about a tablespoon of butter (you'll thank me). And salt to taste.

I used the Tofurky Kielbasa sausage. This was a fantastic choice! I used my griddler to grill my kielbasa.

Next assemble and eat!




No comments:

Post a Comment