Sunday, October 16, 2016

Acorn (Winter) Squash Soup


So I have decided this winter, we should always have soup readily available. And I've been taken with squash soups...of all kinds. This week I'm trying out winter squash. And I am/was so excited.  This is my first time cooking winter squash.


It's dangerously similar to butternut squash. So I prepared it the same way I do for my butternut squash. I cut it and deseeded it. Rubbed with some oil olive. This tends to help with the burning.



I baked it on 425 degrees for about 45 mins. I let it cool before blending it.


Next I blended roasted squashed with 5 cups go vegetable stock. About a cup for each half per squash half. You can totally use water, but Broth gives it a little more oomph. And this helps you use less salt. Add more or less broth (water) you get it to the consistency you want. 


Move this soup party to the stove. Add 1/2 of agave to the soup. I was going to use honey, but I have a baby under 1, so agave works better for us. You can add as more or less  Next add spices, 1/2 tablespoon of pumpkin spice and 1/2 tablespoon curry powder. I would normally use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, but I decided to use my pumpkin spice because it's fall. Pumpkin spice has cinnamon and nutmeg in it, so it's great for this soup and fall.


Bring to simmer. If you want a bit more decadence and flavor add 1/4 of cream. Or just leave it vegan. Either way enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment